Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 13 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Bitahwa Bindu 6 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

romant
    Participant

Hi everyone! I need a help. This is my first project using C#. I created a GUI, similar to the one published by “Student Companion” The problem I got is in transfering data in only one way. I tested my GUI the same computer with hyper termonal instolled on it. To make sure the connection is OK I tested it first on two terminals connected to different COM ports. Data flow was OK in both directions. As soon as I replaced one terminal with my GUI the data flow goes only from GUI to the other terminal and not vice versa. It looks like the Mthod: “private void serialPort1_DataReceived(object sender, SerialDataReceivedEventArgs e)” does not generate any event, and thus the code block withion curly brackets cannot be executed.
    I appreciate any idea. Thanks.

Bitahwa Bindu
    Keymaster

If I understand you correctly you can send to serial port but you can’t receive?

Please post your receive event code. Make sure to use code tags when you post. In the editor, under Tools menu click on Source Code to insert your code.

romant
    Participant

That is correct, I can send information from my GUI to hyper terminal with no problem.  Any information typed in terminal and sent  cannot be visible in “rich text box” of my GUI.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by  romant.

Bitahwa Bindu
    Keymaster

You need to subscribe to the DataReceived event before opening the port, then listen to that event when triggered. You can’t just read data without knowing if data is there.
    when there is data in the buffer, the data received event is triggered.
    use something like this:

romant
    Participant

Sorry, I still have a trouble.

What does “subscribe” mean?

Huw it looks like in the “Here is the full project code:” (Line number?):

Bitahwa Bindu
    Keymaster

To understand Subscribe, please Google C# Event and Delegates to learn more. We can’t explain all that here as C# is not our main tutorial topic.

When you receive data from a serial port, it’s gonna generate a receive event. You’ll have to subscribe to that event so that you can be notified when this event is raised. Then you can check if there is data to be read.

romant
    Participant

Thanks, Bitahwa. Finaly I moved forward but unfortunately ony half step. Now I started getting data from terminal. The new problem is that data I can see on MessageBox. The next line gives me message:

“An unhandled exception of type ‘System.InvalidOperationException’ occurred in System.Windows.Forms.dll

Additional information: Cross-thread operation not valid: Control ‘rtxtDataArea’ accessed from a thread other than the thread it was created on.”

What are those two different threads?

Bitahwa Bindu
    Keymaster

Hi. You must upload the full code to see what could be the problem.

romant
    Participant

Bitahwa Bindu
    Keymaster

Please upload the full zipped project so that we can compile it.

romant
    Participant

Hi, Bitahwa. Here is my zipped project:

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Bitahwa Bindu
    Keymaster

The data received in your serialPort1_DataReceived method is coming from another thread context than the UI thread, and that’s the reason you see this error.
    To resolve this problem, instead of reading the content directly in the serialport1_DataReceived method, create a delegate like this:

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by  Bitahwa Bindu.

romant
    Participant

Hi, Bitahwa! Finnaly everuthig works well. Thanks a lot.

Bitahwa Bindu
    Keymaster

Good to hear.

Please upload your  visual studio project. It might help others in the future.

Thanks

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.