Forums MPLAB XC8 Tutorial Discussions SD Card "RAW" Clone

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Bitahwa Bindu 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

dirkdeb
    Participant

Would it be possible to clone a “Master” SD card with FAT 16/32 filesystem by doing a SECTOR READ “Master” into RAM -> SECTOR WRITE from RAM  to RAW/unformatted “slave” SD ?
    And for that matter overwrite a FAT 16 “slave” SD with the “Master” FAT32 filesystem, complete with the data on it. ?

Bitahwa Bindu
    Keymaster

Your question is not clear, what do you mean by master and slave sd cards?

dirkdeb
    Participant

I want to copy one FAT32/16/12 formatted SD card (the “Master”) with information on it to another unformatted SD card . Thus cloning one SD to another another without knowing or caring about the file system on the “Master” SD card.

Basically have two SD card sockets and using a PIC 18FXX to read byte by byte, sector by sector from “Master” into a buffer  and write byte by byte, sector by sector  from the buffer to the unformatted SD card.

Bitahwa Bindu
    Keymaster

You can do the same read operation while selecting one card.

An SD card cannot be a Master on SPI bus, it has to be a slave, maybe you can choose a PIC with 2 SPI bus, this will give you 2 slaves on the line. Select one slave, read information than select the other slave copy information.

dirkdeb
    Participant

Hi Thank you, yea I was still unclear in my post about the “Master” concept. I used that term NOT in the context of ths SPI bus but as my Master SD card, with the information on to be duplicated in it’s entirety.
    I will use two SD card sockets and one SPI port. The pic I’m using have 3K Ram for buffer purpose.

So we are clear that I can do a sector read to buffer, sector write from buffer to unformatted SD card for cloning/duplicating.
    To format a blanc SD card, just clone a formatted SD card to a unformatted SD card in that way, right ?

Thanx again

Bitahwa Bindu
    Keymaster

Why don’t you want to format the other sd card? If you want to clone than what’s on 1 should be on the other. I haven’t done it that way but I think it can work your way as well.

You can also write raw data without using this sd library, but ask on mikroe forum for more information.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.